Now that school’s out, let’s think about what to do with the kids!
It’s worth remembering that it’s not only the “big” days out that make memories, it’s the time spent together that makes it special.
I love the story of the grown up who was talking to her elderly Mum and said that it was as the “picnic TV dinner nights” that she loved the most. Her mum said, "but they were the night she that I was feeling tired and low and didn’t know what to cook, so I just cut up lots of little things that I could find, like bits of cheese, some fruit, frankfurter, crackers, whatever I could find. Those were the nights I was failing."
Her daughter said, "no Mum those were my favourite nights!"
So those days when you have a picnic in the garden and a hose pipe to play with are as precious as the “big” days out!
Here are just 10 ideas for things to do- some free, some less than £10 but all ideas to keep your little ones happy and happy entertained this summer. ☀️ HAPPY HOLIDAYS ☀️
1) Spend the day at the amazing Barafundle Beach! Golden sands, turquoise water, it’s beautiful and all for free!
2) Visit St Fagans near Cardiff. See living history with houses and artifacts brought to life in this amazing open air museum. It’s a great day out, with FREE ENTRY!
3) Go Dolphin Spotting in New Quay, Ceredigion, West Wales. Go out on one of the boats for a day to remember. Prices from £5 per child. £10 for adults.
4) Visit the spectacular Tintern Abbey and find out more about the Cistercian Monks that lived there. Only £6.90 for a Family ticket. Lots of lovely space to have a picnic and for the kids to run off some energy.
5) Canoe in the River Wye or simply take a picnic and splash around near the banks, in the shallow waters near Monmouth or Ross-on-Wye.
6) Visit Dan-yr-Ogof Caves, the national show caves near Swansea. These are part of a large cave network stretching from Brecon. Under 2s are free. £12 children up to 16. Adults £15.
7) The Sculpture Trial in the Forest of Dean. Great fun for all ages to go exploring. Don’t forget to take a picnic. Another fun filled FREE day out. Just pay for parking.
8) Visit Clearwell Caves and Ancient Iron Works. Especially on a rainy day! Family tickets from £24.00
9) Perrygrove Railway and Treetops Adventure is a great day out for all ages. Find it in the beautiful Forest of Dean. £25.75 for an all day family ticket.
10) Visit the lovely market town of Monmouth. Take in Monmouth Museum, The Shire Hall and make time to watch a film in the gorgeous Savoy Theatre. Free Entry to the museum and the Shire Hall. Ticket prices for the Savoy- Under 3s Free, Children £5, Adults £6. This fabulous grade 2 building is well worth a visit.
So whatever you do this summer have a wonderful time and cherish every bit-even if that’s a challenge at times! 😘